Of Frenchmen and Fireworks

An in-game thunderstorm preempted the traditional Friday night fireworks show and Jason Dubois [pronounced Doo-Bwah' in this organization] launched the finale with a game-winning three-run homer in the bottom of the ninth as the Iowa Cubs dropped the curtain on their first homestand of the season by stealing one from Albuquerque.

Jake Fox clubbed his league-leading eighth homer of the year and added two singles to again pace the I-Cub attack. Bobby Scales tripled,singled and scored twice to boost his average to .370. Both Scales and SS Andres Blanco are switch-hitting infielders batting over .300, but Scales has played some 3B and even a bit of 1B besides his usual post at 2B while Blanco has been strictly a shortstop early on. If an infielder is to be recalled today, Scales may have an edge based on versatility.

Chad Fox got the win last night despite yielding his first run of the year in half a dozen appearances. A quietly emerging story in the team's bullpen is RH Greg Reinhard. He's now thrown 11 scoreless innings while walking only three to go with 17 strikeouts. Jason Waddell remains unscored upon as the team's bullpen southpaw.

The team was to leave early this morning for Nashville where they start a four-game set tonight. Still unknown is whether or not they'd be dropping anyone off in St. Louis.

Comments

I hope Bobby Scales gets the call soon. We need a switch hitting utility infielder with some extra base power off the bench right now...especially if ARam is out for any time.

and Jason Waddell vs Neil Cotts. What are we waiting for?

Mike-- thanks for these recaps!

Also-- the stats tell us that Scales might be a good hitter (his AAA numbers the past three years are solid), do you get a sense for what he's like with the glove?

Mike -- do they travel by bus? I know most teams in the AAA Mexican League do, but I wonder about the PCL.

yes...and surprisingly (or not) they're not those "rock star" tour busses.

I believe for the most part the I-Cubs travel by plane...Omaha would be an exception; remember, they're in the Pacific Coast League which is rather far-flung; all the way from Tacoma to Memphis...no way they bus to Albuquerque, Sacramento, etc.

Romero - Scales is adequate defensively; neither his calling card nor a liability...

• Even from an on-field perspective, Torres is a 19-year-old beating up High-A pitching who also plays a great SS. Even if he never develops a legit MLB power stroke, he's still an obvious 4-tool guy with a very high floor. Sucks to trade away his next 6-8 years for a closer, albeit a great one.

John Beasley 23 min 10 sec ago view

pretty much sums up my feelings

• You mean Yankees?

QuietMan 6 hours 36 min ago view
  • Cards lose!

Arizona Phil 7 hours 1 min ago view

• I just prefer they don't  acquire players that choke their wives/girlfriends.

• I'd prefer it not happen too.

• Still don't want. Kinda hope they can't work out the extension.

• obviously not, and I'm sure they did their homework...just hope they have some better answers than the Yankees

• Chapman 12+ Career WAR. Currently 4.7:1 k-BB. With Rondon/Chapman/Strop/Nathan/Montgomery/Wood...Its the best pen I can recall other than Sutter or Lee Smith handling things themselves.

Its gonna suck if he gets injured, and it appears he's not the greatest of characters.

But, he'll have another Cuban to hang out with on the team.