Tonight's Lineup...Sort Of

According to Gordon Wittenmyer, Lou is moving Alfonso Soriano out of the leadoff spot for the time being and putting Ryan Theriot up there. It looks like Theriot, Fukudome, Soriano, Ramirez, Lee in the first five spots for tonight. It'll probably be some combination of Reed Johnson, Soto and either Fontenot or Miles for the last three spots.

With Soriano now in the middle of the order, the Cubs should be good for what? 7...10...15 runs a night? Sarcasm aside, Theriot and Fukudome are doing the job right now getting on-base and with Bradley out and Hoffpauir likely not playing too much more corner outfield, the middle of the order could use the power for the time being. I would guess that this won't last long enough to get any meaningful read on whether the team is better off with Soriano batting leadoff or in a more traditional run-producing spot, but it definitely won't hurt the team as long as Theriot and Fukudome keep getting on-base (there's some expert analysis for you). The best thing about all this is moving Lee down the fifth spot in my opinion.

Full Lineups for Tonight: Theriot, Fukudome, Soriano, Ramirez, Lee, Fontenot, Soto, Johnson, Dempster vs. Shumaker, Ankiel, Pujols, Ludwick, Duncan, Molina, Greene, Thurston and Wainwright.

Comments

Wow. Might as well shake things up a bit, right?

wow

Awesome.

Yep, as long as this is the beginning of the end of Lee hitting 3rd, I am happy. I have no delusions about Soriano staying in the 3 spot...

It's not a huge downgrade for Lee or anything. He hit 6 & 7th for many years.

Fucking A

I still hate this lineup...but it will take 3/44 to change my mind...and obviously it's not coming my way from Scott Eyre's checking account.

this underscores one of the things I like best about lou...he seems open to being creative with his lineup. I just think he falls short when the same measure is applied to his bullpen use.

Yeah, it took only 2 years and a month. He is so progressive...:)

Soriano should have been out of the leadoff spot ever since was hurt, and Lee has not been a #3 hitter for like 2 years.

Lou saw the last 2 days and is just trying to shake things up, I wouldn't be surprised if this only lasts a few days and then back to 'normal' once the team breaks out of it.

I just usually think your best hitter should bat 3rd, and in my mind that's Aramis. With Lee not able to regroup after getting hurt we don't have a classic #3 at all. Soriano is too streaky for #3. Not that Aram isn't streaky, too. I know it sounds baffling to even suggest it, but if Fukudome can ...

... never mind.

We just don't have a #3 hitter. That's part of the problem. If Fontenot can kick it back in gear maybe he could bat 2nd and ... oh, wait. We also have a sub playing 2nd.

Is Orlando Hudson still available?

Oh, shit. No, Cubs passed on that dude.

Worst lineup ever, but better than what we've seen so far this year.

This isn't far from off from the lineup most of us would put together. Let's hope they fucking score some runs this time.

Fucking A.

this only took 2 years and 1 month to get right...

hitting your top power hitters 3 and 4...mind blowing. hell, i'd settle for 3 and 5...

ARam taken out starting the bottom 5th with a left calf strain, Fontenot moving to 3rd.

If this injury is of any serious length of time, the Cubs are in serious trouble. ARam has been our best player this year thus far. The "It's only April" saying won't be very helpful. BAd, bad news...Let's hope it is just very cautious taking him out.

Haha... Soriano gets moved out of the leadoff slot, and what happens? Theriot comes up with the bases loaded.

Awesome. :)

Aaron fucking Miles.

This is going to be a long season...

Wow, now Marmol goes down? Gameday: "Injury Dely" then "Pitching Change: Angel Guzman replaces Carlos Marmol, batting 9th"

What happened?

Landed awkwardly... may have gotten his spike caught in the dirt.

Threw some practice pitches after - looked okay, and he was walking okay. Hopefully just precautionary.

The Cubs really aren't that good of a team this year. 85 to 90 wins? Looks like a repeat of 2001, 2004 and 2007.

Cubs middle infield sucks raw eggs. And have I mentioned I hate Aaron fucking Miles? $2.5MM for this stiff.

Not really sure what Miles did tonight that was so bad.

He is a backup. He is actually, imo, a fairly decent backup.

This team is simply not hitting. Soto and Bradley won't continue to suck. Fontenot will be better. Lee will be better.

They're all fucking backups. When is Rickets coming in?

Hendry got us to what I call the Doug Collins stage.

We need NEXT.

Man - we will be talking about the last-place Chicago Cubs soon?

What a differnce a yeae makes. Fuck you Hendry!!

way to be prepared for Aram injury! Woot!

yeah, so when I say I like to see Soriano get a few extra PA's over the season batting leadoff, tonight would be a good example.

• bless your heart. *pinches cheeks*

• real shame I missed this week's episode of The Crunch Reporter.

It's highly unusual.

It does matter a little.

It matters much less than you think.

• four winds field is awesome. it's crazy how minor league parks have "grown up" since the 80s/90s and that park was one of the late-80s models that showed a low-capacity ballpark could look like you're at something other than a highschool baseball game.

• On another topic....I returned to South Bend last night for the 2nd time this season (still haven't tried either the deep-fried mac & cheese sandwich nor "The Porknado", as the drive home is over an hour and that could get ugly), and was pleasantly surprised to find D. Underwood pitching in a rehab start. He looked good -- although, to be fair, these are low-A hitters -- fastball consistently at 94-95 (if the SB scoreboard is to be believed -- several pitches were clocked in the 30s...) and with good location.

• he gains nothing, no advantage, no saving of resources, nothing...there is not a cost/benefit tradeoff...him letting the running game go on around him for others to control isn't gaining him an advantage elsewhere. it's putting him at a disadvantage even if it's not cashed in with a run.

• And out of respect for the rest of TCR, I'm done on this. I'm sure I'm not the only one in the other camp, but time to let it go. (Until the next Lester start. I kid.)

#baseballtalk

Tito 8 hours 55 min ago view
  • He is putting himself at a disadvanage. But how much of one relative to the rest of his game? He's not Justin Germano -- he's inarguably one of the best SPs in baseball, issue or not. It would be more of thing to discuss ad nauseum if it constantly caused him to give up runs and lose games. But it doesn't.

#baseballtalk

Tito 9 hours 5 min ago view
  • shouting down my points about lester with "well, it didn't hurt" is like saying it doesn't matter if a guy starts out walking 3 guys every inning as long it's followed by a K and a double play.

it's like elevating ERA and wins to a high level while ignoring what it took to get there.

• I'm asking how much it has hurt Lester and the Cubs this year. Do you have that answer?

I legitimately don't recall you answering that quesion, apart from the condescending silliness you just posted. So if you did answer specifically about the impact of Lester's issue, I'd like to re-read it. Thanks.

#baseballtalk

Tito 9 hours 24 min ago view
  • if runner = on base and pitcher = j.lester then lead = large

if lead = large then probability of extra base on following hit > average of mean

okay, enough of that silliness...

...you can read more on the thread i copy/pasted this from the last time you decided you needed to talk to me about me.

• Thank you for your answer.

#baseballtalk

Tito 9 hours 34 min ago view
  • bless your heart.

• I don't recall you answering my question about quantifying how it has hurt Lester and the Cubs this season, apart from one guy scoring on a sac fly. Can you direct me to your answer? Thanks.

#baseballtalk

Tito 9 hours 40 min ago view
  • Lester's personal catcher has an .809 OPS.

#baseballtalk

Tito 9 hours 43 min ago view
  • we already has this asinine discussion. you didn't like the answer. there's already an answer above you can apply about how a guy goes from 1st base to home on a sac fly that included him stealing 3rd while lester watched from the mound. the fact that the cubs bats, 100% independent of that situation, scored some runs invalidates it as an issue to you. i find that stupid. we will not get anywhere with this. you know we will not get anywhere with this...because we already had this asinine discussion.

#circularlogic

• it's not about SB...it never was.

jake arrieta being slow to the plate isn't comparable to jon lester not throwing to any base. how the runners read off arrieta isn't anything similar to what a runner is reading off lester.

maybe arrieta could use a personal catcher solely to control his running game...but i doubt it's that important.