Tonight's Lineup...Sort Of

According to Gordon Wittenmyer, Lou is moving Alfonso Soriano out of the leadoff spot for the time being and putting Ryan Theriot up there. It looks like Theriot, Fukudome, Soriano, Ramirez, Lee in the first five spots for tonight. It'll probably be some combination of Reed Johnson, Soto and either Fontenot or Miles for the last three spots.

With Soriano now in the middle of the order, the Cubs should be good for what? 7...10...15 runs a night? Sarcasm aside, Theriot and Fukudome are doing the job right now getting on-base and with Bradley out and Hoffpauir likely not playing too much more corner outfield, the middle of the order could use the power for the time being. I would guess that this won't last long enough to get any meaningful read on whether the team is better off with Soriano batting leadoff or in a more traditional run-producing spot, but it definitely won't hurt the team as long as Theriot and Fukudome keep getting on-base (there's some expert analysis for you). The best thing about all this is moving Lee down the fifth spot in my opinion.

Full Lineups for Tonight: Theriot, Fukudome, Soriano, Ramirez, Lee, Fontenot, Soto, Johnson, Dempster vs. Shumaker, Ankiel, Pujols, Ludwick, Duncan, Molina, Greene, Thurston and Wainwright.

Comments

Wow. Might as well shake things up a bit, right?

wow

Awesome.

Yep, as long as this is the beginning of the end of Lee hitting 3rd, I am happy. I have no delusions about Soriano staying in the 3 spot...

It's not a huge downgrade for Lee or anything. He hit 6 & 7th for many years.

Fucking A

I still hate this lineup...but it will take 3/44 to change my mind...and obviously it's not coming my way from Scott Eyre's checking account.

this underscores one of the things I like best about lou...he seems open to being creative with his lineup. I just think he falls short when the same measure is applied to his bullpen use.

Yeah, it took only 2 years and a month. He is so progressive...:)

Soriano should have been out of the leadoff spot ever since was hurt, and Lee has not been a #3 hitter for like 2 years.

Lou saw the last 2 days and is just trying to shake things up, I wouldn't be surprised if this only lasts a few days and then back to 'normal' once the team breaks out of it.

I just usually think your best hitter should bat 3rd, and in my mind that's Aramis. With Lee not able to regroup after getting hurt we don't have a classic #3 at all. Soriano is too streaky for #3. Not that Aram isn't streaky, too. I know it sounds baffling to even suggest it, but if Fukudome can ...

... never mind.

We just don't have a #3 hitter. That's part of the problem. If Fontenot can kick it back in gear maybe he could bat 2nd and ... oh, wait. We also have a sub playing 2nd.

Is Orlando Hudson still available?

Oh, shit. No, Cubs passed on that dude.

Worst lineup ever, but better than what we've seen so far this year.

This isn't far from off from the lineup most of us would put together. Let's hope they fucking score some runs this time.

Fucking A.

this only took 2 years and 1 month to get right...

hitting your top power hitters 3 and 4...mind blowing. hell, i'd settle for 3 and 5...

ARam taken out starting the bottom 5th with a left calf strain, Fontenot moving to 3rd.

If this injury is of any serious length of time, the Cubs are in serious trouble. ARam has been our best player this year thus far. The "It's only April" saying won't be very helpful. BAd, bad news...Let's hope it is just very cautious taking him out.

Haha... Soriano gets moved out of the leadoff slot, and what happens? Theriot comes up with the bases loaded.

Awesome. :)

Aaron fucking Miles.

This is going to be a long season...

Wow, now Marmol goes down? Gameday: "Injury Dely" then "Pitching Change: Angel Guzman replaces Carlos Marmol, batting 9th"

What happened?

Landed awkwardly... may have gotten his spike caught in the dirt.

Threw some practice pitches after - looked okay, and he was walking okay. Hopefully just precautionary.

The Cubs really aren't that good of a team this year. 85 to 90 wins? Looks like a repeat of 2001, 2004 and 2007.

Cubs middle infield sucks raw eggs. And have I mentioned I hate Aaron fucking Miles? $2.5MM for this stiff.

Not really sure what Miles did tonight that was so bad.

He is a backup. He is actually, imo, a fairly decent backup.

This team is simply not hitting. Soto and Bradley won't continue to suck. Fontenot will be better. Lee will be better.

They're all fucking backups. When is Rickets coming in?

Hendry got us to what I call the Doug Collins stage.

We need NEXT.

Man - we will be talking about the last-place Chicago Cubs soon?

What a differnce a yeae makes. Fuck you Hendry!!

way to be prepared for Aram injury! Woot!

yeah, so when I say I like to see Soriano get a few extra PA's over the season batting leadoff, tonight would be a good example.

• If Travis' back-to-back-to-back walks cost Hendricks the ERA title, that would really suck.

• Edit: "A lifeless loss to a lousy Sox team."

• This place is a real downer after a loss to the Sox.

• I expect they will go 5-9 games above .500 the rest of the year. 96-98 wins will win the Division.

They should have one more 2-3 week hot streak in them.

However, several players are just "average" for the last month: Zobrist, Ross, Russell, Ceasar. Montero is terrible, plus he cannot throw anyone out. -WAR. Heyward is abysmal at the plate, but a plus in the OF. Still with RISP he has been terrible. KB has not been driving in runs as of late. But Apparently the team is still above average with RISP according to S Sahadev.

• I came to that realization tonight. I kept expecting them to play better, but now I realize they aren't going to. They are a .500 team now.
    - They have one reliable starting pitcher. Jake's magic is gone, and it doesn't look like it's coming back. Lester has been lousy recently. Lackey's ERA goes up every time he pitches.
    - Heyward has been dead weight all year. I can't remember a single series where he was a significant offensive contributor. Not one. Great defense, but but if he were hitting .270 with 10 HR and played average defense, the Cubs would be better off.

• new rule...no one's allowed to throw k.bryant a changeup

• Team is .500 since early May and is playing like a .500 team. Lack of offense seems to be putting a lot of pressure on the pitchers...and they aren't handling it terribly well.

.500 the rest of the way still may win the division though.

blockhead25 4 hours 39 min ago view
  • ...i hate espn.

nothing like settling into a cubs game to get a few minutes cutaway for an ortiz AB in the 6th inning of the det/bos game.

oh, at least they're doing split screen now...i guess.

• I'm liking this rookie Nathan.

CTSteve 4 hours 55 min ago view
  • Richard DFA'd. Meh...

• Throwbacks with fashionable cutouts would be a nice touch.

• The next 2 games are nationally televised. I think we dominate tonight, hitting 3 HRs off Shields. Great night for KB to end HR drought facing HR prone pitcher in one of the most hitter friendly parks in the league.

chitownmvp01 10 hours 52 min ago view
  • If the ball didn't deflect off the pitcher's mound, the game wouldn't have ended. Montgomery did miss his location though, but if that same contact was made and went in any of direction, good chance of ground out if it doesn't get through.

If it was 1 night later, Chapman would be out there and we probably would be going to extras.

Also, If KB wasn't robbed of a HR, perhaps we would have won. We will never know. Nice play by Melky though.

chitownmvp01 10 hours 53 min ago view
  • The comparison isn't Chapman replacing Rondon. It's Chapman replacing Richard (hopefully) in the pen. Chapman's better.

• I'm with you, Rob. You pretty much summed up how I feel about it.

JoePepitone 15 hours 10 min ago view
  • Been quite the roller-coaster the past two days -- both games, plus the Chapman kerfuffel. How about a couple of nice, comfortable wins before facing Sale? Cubs should definitely wear throwbacks for that game.