Peter Angelos Finally Agrees to Roberts Trade

THIS JUST IN...

Orioles owner Peter Angelos has finally decided to let GM Andy MacPhail trade Brian Roberts to the Chicago Cubs.  In a privately held conversation, Angelos was said to give MacPhail permission to trade Roberts (who, as we darn well know, is Angelos' really, really, really all-time favorite baseball player) for  Sean Gallagher, Eric Patterson, Matt Murton, and another undisclosed prospect plus the HOF Yosh Kawano hat. MacPhail plans to call Cubs GM Jim Hendry tomorrow morning to tell him the good news--that their organizaton was FINALLY able to come to this MOMENTUS DECISION. MacPhail doesn't expect any other obstacles to affect this long anticipated transaction.

D'oh!

Comments

LOL. Nice one. We no longer want to do anything with that joke of a front office in Baltimore!

I wonder if Angelos would make the trade for the Yosh Kawano hat ONLY.

I'll bet we could get that back from the Hall of Fame.

it might take a few months for Angelos to read the medical reports on the hat (it's a really, really, really thick stack of papers)

The SCORE is reporting that it's Roberts for Harden.

Reading through all these A's fan comments, they sound really depressed with the harden trade.

I guess that makes Hendry a...

...snicker...

"Harden criminal"!!!! GUFFAW!

I'll let myself out.

Boo.

Needs more sexual innuendo.

really dude, if you don't think you can get enough sexual innuendo from a harden criminal, you must have never been in jail... oops

Touche, my good man.

as par with too many beane trades.

i think the fan base is getting a little tired of getting 3-4-5 "mid level/scrap" prospects that eventually give them a plethora of AAAA players and guys who can hit .250 with a .350 ob%, who can't run to save their lives, play spotty D, and struggle to hit 15-20 homers.

its like having a team full of #2 or #6 hitters.

at least they can draft/trade for pitchers with great success. now they could use 2-3 legit hitters who can actually do something with the walks all around them and the pitchers who are getting their job done.

Well, Eveland and Smith are working okay. Haren sure did give them a couple of All-Star caliber seasons. I guess you do have a point, but you really can't argue with Beane's trading history. It's flawless.

Even the only clear mistake he's made trade-wise was a complete steal at the moment. Charles Johnson was coming off a decent season and looked like a pretty good 4th OF for the long run and Dan Meyer was an elite pitching prospect -- elite as in Phil Hughes, Joba Chamberlain elite. He broke down, oh well -- things happen. Or was it shit happens?

The AAAA players the A's use often are a result of Beane's subpar FA strategies (sure, you can't compete for first tier FA players if your owner is a tightwad and the fan base doesn't spend as much as the other Bay Area markets); see Emil Brown, Mike Sweeney and others.

yeah, it just seems pitching is about the only thing they get right...and they love to hedge their bets by picking up volume.

Funny one, doc, but aren't you a bit too busy reviewing reports of Harden's medical history to crack jokes?

ouch! pun intended.

• crunch 5 hours 1 min ago view
  • My guy Addy

jacos 5 hours 1 min ago view
  • oh, another a.russell HR...whatever.

• Dylan Cease throwing gas tonight for the Emeralds. In first three innings, has hit 100 mph six times, averaging 98 mph

Eric S 5 hours 34 min ago view
  • Can I get a gif of Joe West's jowls waving as he chews gum?

/Asking for a friend

jacos 5 hours 58 min ago view
  • my gawd...that castillo-to-bryant pickoff was a thing of beauty. the knock on him in the minors being slow out of the crouch is looking less like a thing.

• bless your heart. *pinches cheeks*

• real shame I missed this week's episode of The Crunch Reporter.

It's highly unusual.

It does matter a little.

It matters much less than you think.

• four winds field is awesome. it's crazy how minor league parks have "grown up" since the 80s/90s and that park was one of the late-80s models that showed a low-capacity ballpark could look like you're at something other than a highschool baseball game.

• On another topic....I returned to South Bend last night for the 2nd time this season (still haven't tried either the deep-fried mac & cheese sandwich nor "The Porknado", as the drive home is over an hour and that could get ugly), and was pleasantly surprised to find D. Underwood pitching in a rehab start. He looked good -- although, to be fair, these are low-A hitters -- fastball consistently at 94-95 (if the SB scoreboard is to be believed -- several pitches were clocked in the 30s...) and with good location.

• he gains nothing, no advantage, no saving of resources, nothing...there is not a cost/benefit tradeoff...him letting the running game go on around him for others to control isn't gaining him an advantage elsewhere. it's putting him at a disadvantage even if it's not cashed in with a run.

• And out of respect for the rest of TCR, I'm done on this. I'm sure I'm not the only one in the other camp, but time to let it go. (Until the next Lester start. I kid.)

#baseballtalk

Tito 16 hours 7 min ago view
  • He is putting himself at a disadvanage. But how much of one relative to the rest of his game? He's not Justin Germano -- he's inarguably one of the best SPs in baseball, issue or not. It would be more of thing to discuss ad nauseum if it constantly caused him to give up runs and lose games. But it doesn't.

#baseballtalk

Tito 16 hours 16 min ago view
  • shouting down my points about lester with "well, it didn't hurt" is like saying it doesn't matter if a guy starts out walking 3 guys every inning as long it's followed by a K and a double play.

it's like elevating ERA and wins to a high level while ignoring what it took to get there.

• I'm asking how much it has hurt Lester and the Cubs this year. Do you have that answer?

I legitimately don't recall you answering that quesion, apart from the condescending silliness you just posted. So if you did answer specifically about the impact of Lester's issue, I'd like to re-read it. Thanks.

#baseballtalk

Tito 16 hours 35 min ago view
  • if runner = on base and pitcher = j.lester then lead = large

if lead = large then probability of extra base on following hit > average of mean

okay, enough of that silliness...

...you can read more on the thread i copy/pasted this from the last time you decided you needed to talk to me about me.