Chicago Cubs Draft History

We've had a few draft history pieces over the years, a 3-part series I did back in 2005( the third part is particularly gruesome) and one by reader "Real Neal" last year. Reader "Wiscgrad" has put one together for this year and I'll be adding it to the "TCR Junk Drawer" as soon as I get a moment. Unfortunately, I'm having some issues getting it translated to HTML (particularly the pictures), so the PDF file is down below for your reading and viewing pleasure.

Chicago Cubs Draft History (PDF File)

Comments

As some ESPN hack would write for the talking heads :"the Good, the bad, and the Ugly of the Cubs draft history." Good job, Rob.

To change the subject entirely, I would love the Cubs to get C.C. Sabathia, but not for ARam. Cliff Lee might be pitching outside of his level, so I'm wary of that guy. AJ Burnett is an oft-injured malcontent. No thanks. We're chock full of pitchers that are head cases.

Huh? People are saying ARam for CC? That would never happen.

What? Where was the Aram rumor from?

just to clarify, reader WISCGRAD wrote the article I linked to, although I did do one in 2005.

I like to look at this list I compiled and slam my head in a door every once in awhile:

ALL-TIME JUST MISSED TEAM
P - Dwight Gooden (1982/5th); Shawon Dunston(1982/1st)
P - Jack McDowell(1987/5th); Mike Harkey (1987/4th)
P - Roger Clemens (1983/19th); Jackie Davidson (1983/6th)
P - Billy Wagner (1993/12th); Brooks Kieschnick(1993/10th)
C - Ray Fosse (1965/7th); Rick James (1965/6th)
1B - Mark McGwire (1984/11th); Drew Hall (1984/3rd)
2B - Chuck Knoblauch (1989/25th); Earl Cunningham (1989/8th)
SS - Garry Templeton (1974/13th)/Scot Thompson (1974/8th)
3B - Robin Venura (1988/10th)/Ty Griffin (1988/9th)
OF - Manny Ramirez(1991/13th); Doug Glanville(1991/12th)
OF - Lance Berkman(1997/16th); Jon Garland (1997/10th)
OF - Gary Matthews (1968/17th); Ralph Rickey (1968/15th)

in hindsight, Utley deserves to be the second basemen on that team, picked 15th the year we picked Montanez 3rd.

Kevin Goldstein's mock draft has the Cubs picking...

... a slow and steady riser, as the Cubs have been in on hard and heavy to see the last few starts by Illinois high school star Jake Odorizzi. He has the kind of velocity, command, and clean mechanics rarely seen from the cold-weather states.... consistently touching 95 mph with his fastball while showing a much-improved breaking ball.
Selection: Jake Odorizzi, RHP, Highland HS (IL)

not killing the messenger here...nonetheless...

mock drafts past the first 5 or so picks are pretty f'n lame.

cubs got way too deep of a pick to even narrow it down to 3-5 possible picks, especially in this very weak draft class. very very very weak...there's like only 1-2 highschool pitchers worth drafting and some of the best college arms are relievers.

btw, if pedro alvarez makes it past AAA with his swing i'd be amazed. someone will blow million on him in the first 10 picks, though (probably top 5).

Not doubting you or anything Crunch because I have no clue about this, but out of curiosity, what makes you think Alvarez's swing is worse than MLB scouts think it is? Have you seen him play?

yes, seen him play...also seen video (god, i love the new era of video-on-demand coming from all over the place along with nearly every cell phone having a camera).

about his swing...i dont really think scouts think its better than i think it is...at least i dont think too many expect him to be a guy who's a top tier talent. he can move the bat through the zone, but he really loves chasing anything high which he can do something with his aluminum bat and wrist/hand speed. he's is the most polished bat in the draft, but he's not THAT polished. it's a weak draft class all around.

about his glove/arm...average at best for both. lotta people on the fence about whether he'll be able to stay there and if he might/should end up in LF/1st. doubt anyone will draft him and do anything but stick him at 3rd to begin with, but how long can he stay? with an arm that's barely 3rd base quality and average D...he'd need some good power for that...

which brings me to the power thing. i've been sold on him being a guy with a great swing...fast swing...but his power stroke *seems* to be aluminum bat influenced and since coming back from his hamate bone removal it's really showed.

that said...he does have the tools and he's very athletic. he's also the most polished bat in the draft. he'll have a lot going for him coming into this draft that would be overshadowed in other draft classes. a lot of what's moving him up (besides his actual #s performance) is how athletic he is. he's not fast by any means (kinda slow), but he's not lazy and there's a lotta teams who would love to try to mold him into the guy he could be.

Nice article Wisconsin!

The CC for Aram is from Goatriders. No sniping please; I found it preposterous as well. Not a rumored trade, just some random idiot's idea.

• ...and the Bryant RBI jinx continues in the 3rd....crap.

billybucks 32 min 8 sec ago view
  • bryant's in the dugout filling a police report BECAUSE HE JUST GOT ROBBED.

f'n cabrerra...

crunch 1 hour 9 min ago view
  • chapman showing up and available tomorrow night.

i'm sure he'll be a bit hit. hope he doesn't choke. dude has a rifle for an arm. he'll add a bit of punch to the bullpen.

crunch 1 hour 10 min ago view
  • the 'crosstown classic' sure has lost it's magic with interleague. the excitement level is barely noticable...maybe it's a bit more hype in the city, itself.

crunch 1 hour 15 min ago view
  • Well he didn't leave a mark so its not that bad.

Fuck that.

Facts:

He choked her.

Her brother tackled him to separate him.

He cooled off by shooting his gun in the garage.

I don't have to like him on the team I follow.

And you are others are free to not give a shit about his personal misgivings if you so choose as well.

Rob G. 1 hour 33 min ago view
  • Sure, no marks and some inconsistencies in the witness's statements. But firing your gun into garage wall immediately after an argument and punching out your car window is still threatening and out of control behavior. There was certainly enough for MLB to think it warranted a 30-game suspension.

• I'd prefer they be flexible with the closing situation depending on matchups. You're not really adding a lefty reliever if you use him strictly as a closer.

• Stockpiling young talent isn't only for trading for someone like Chapman though. Even with an elite closer winning the World Series is basically a crap shoot so the key is to get to the playoffs as much as possible and not just mortgage everything on one year. Once you get there an elite bullpen certainly helps but the playoffs can be won by one hitter or starting pitcher getting hot (Murphy, Molina, Baumgardner) and a closer might not be able to stop that.

• I'm also not crazy about press convictions. As the police report noted, there were no marks on the lady in question. There's a TMZ link (of course) to her police pictures, as well.

I think the only way this trade goes real bad is if Cubbery intervenes and Chapman is suddenly bad for some reason.

• I am right there with you closing in on 60.

I don't care that much about "mortgaging" one player who is not only blocked by two guys, but is not ready to hit the majors for at least a couple years.

There is no reason why this team, this year, can't have a real shot at something NONE of us have experienced.

Further, I don't feel that even if they fall short that they have ruined their farm system.

I have made my opinion clear here, with others, Warren was shit on the Cubs save one spot start.

• Trading for Warren, Warren sucking, getting Warren back for Chapman plus 3 prospects, sounds like Revenge of The Yankees on the former Boston executive. Old rivalries never die.

I pray to the heavens above Chapman doesn't suck for some reason, or he'll be booed out of town faster than a Todd Hundley revival meeting.

• I'm kind of nostalgic for the Schwarber-for-Miller rumors.

Brick 5 hours 2 min ago view
  • This offseason, after some ridiculous playoff run and Chapman saving every game from here until the end of the postseason striking out 27/9innings, I welcome anyone to quote this thread and call me a dummy: I hate this trade, and my hate is 2 parts Chapman makes this team less likeable and 1 part that's a ridiculous overpay for 30 regular season innings and, at tops, 10 postseason innings. Already hoping they don't extend him.

• btw...Thanks AZ Phil. I'm really enjoying your take on this trade.

Cubster 5 hours 26 min ago view
  • I'm a bit disappointed on the Warren experience. Essentially they gave Castro away for crickets (OK, well they signed Zobrist with the Castro salary dump). Otherwise one might look at it as Chapman for Castro and our #1 minors prospect (Torres) + McKinney/Crawford. Seems pricey for a 2 month rental. We will see if this price tag is that steep in a relative way based on the remaining deadline deals for relievers.

Cubster 5 hours 26 min ago view
  • Yep. One of the great things about this team (in addition to being really good at baseball) was the "likable" factor. Feels a bit different now. Who knows...maybe Chapman will be the king of the dance parties.