EXST Giants drub EXST Cubs
The EXST Giants put up a six spot in the bottom of the 1st inning en route to a 12-7 victory over the EXST Cubs at Indian School Park Field #2 in Scottsdale this morning.
RHP Jose Pina, rehabbing at Extended Spring Training from 2007 TJ surgery, did not get out of the 1st inning, allowing four runs on three hits and a walk before being relieved.
RHP Dionis Nunez followed, and he was just as bad, allowing four more runs on seven hits and a walk. He was saved further damage thanks to two Giants runners getting thrown out trying to take an extra base.
On offense, Nelson Perez hit a three-run home run over the RF fence in the top of the 5th that cut the Giants lead to 8-7, but the Cubs were unable to score any more runs over the last five innings.
In EXST Cubs news, Cubs Player Development Director Oneri Fleita will be in town this weekend, presumably to help determine who goes to Boise, who might get advanced to Peoria, and who stays at Fitch Park for the summer. (And maybe who gets released). To that end, the EXST Cubs were thrilled to find out that they will be having a special extra workout at Fitch Park this coming Sunday (Sunday is normally a day off).
Here is today's abridged box score (Cubs players only)...
NOTE: Although the Giants won the game in regulation, 10 innings were played to allow pitchers to get extra work.
1. Cesar Salazar, LF: 1-4 (R, BB, SB, GIDP)
2. Marwin Gonzalez, SS: 1-5 (2 R, SB, GIDP)
3 Carlos Perez, DH #1: 0-2 (K)
4. Kyler Burke, 1B: 1-5 (R, 2 K)
5. Nelson Perez, RF: 1-4 (HR, 3 RBI, R, K)
6. Roberto Sabates, C: 1-4 (3B, RBI, R)
7. Kevin Soto, CF: 1-4 (RBI, 2 K)
8. Starlin Castro, 3B: 2-3 (2B, BB)
9. Alvaro Sosa, DH #2: 0-4 (K)
10. Jose Made, 2B: 2-4 (R, K)
NOTE: DH #1 Carlos Perez only batted when he wasn't otherwise occupied warming up a relief pitcher in the bullpen
1. Jose Pina - 0.1 IP, 3 H, 4 R, (4 ER), 1 BB, 0 K
2. Dionis Nunez - 2.2 IP, 7 H, 4 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 2 K (1/3 GO/FO)
3. Julio Pena - 3.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP (3/4 GO/FO)
4. Arik Hempy - 2.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HR (2/2 GO/FO)
5. Jon Mueller - 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K (4/0 GO/FO)
ERRORS - 3
1. Roberto Sabates: E-2, overthrew 3rd base attempting to pick runner off base, runner scored.
2. Starlin Castro: E-5, overthrew 2nd base trying to throw out batter-runner attempting to advance to 2nd base after play at 3rd base, runner scored.
3. Starlin Castro: E5, overthrew 1st base on infield single, allowing batter-runner to reach 2nd base
1. LF Cesar Salazar threw out runner 7-5 trying to advance from 1st to 3rd on single to LF.
2. RF Nelson Perez threw out batter-runner 9-6-5 trying to stretch a double into a triple.
CATCHERS DEFENSE AGAINST THE RUN
Roberto Sabates: 0-1 CS
Temperature in the upper 80's, clear & cloudless, light breeze.
I. Hate. The. Mets.
OK Marlins -- take 'em down. Fernandez, at home, tomorrow for the Fish.
Gotta say, though -- as much as I can't stand them, the Cardinals have had some very impressive late-inning wins against premier closers.
Very impressive that he hit a 3-2 curve ball. Such a dynamic ballplayer. If he ever learns the strike zone....
If Jason Hammel doesn't get a potato chip sponsorship deal, somebody messed up. Attaboy, Jason!
I am looking forward to AChap facing the Cardinals.
Sure is fun to watch them score finally. To think they were no-hit until the 7th...
Got to admit it - it was comforting seeing Rondon come out for the eighth after just taking a two run lead ... And put the hammer down with a 7 pitch inning. Good stuff
GRAND SLAM RUSSELL
blown the hell open...7 run lead
11 hits off Wainwright tonight. Everything going right for the Cards right now. Motherfucking motherfuckers.
it was more no-doubt than bryant's HR. it wont make any end-of-season highlight reels, but that one was booked to leave on contact.
Javy! Javy! Javy!
How sweet was that - Cranked it!
393 happy feet
cubs take a 2 run lead in the 7th. sweet.
...and the Cards tie and take the lead in the 9th. off Familia.
Familia blows his first save of the season -- gives up 2 in 9th to the Cards.
Not much going our way these days.
no-doubt HR towering to CF...tie game.
This site is as dead as the team.