EXST Giants drub EXST Cubs
The EXST Giants put up a six spot in the bottom of the 1st inning en route to a 12-7 victory over the EXST Cubs at Indian School Park Field #2 in Scottsdale this morning.
RHP Jose Pina, rehabbing at Extended Spring Training from 2007 TJ surgery, did not get out of the 1st inning, allowing four runs on three hits and a walk before being relieved.
RHP Dionis Nunez followed, and he was just as bad, allowing four more runs on seven hits and a walk. He was saved further damage thanks to two Giants runners getting thrown out trying to take an extra base.
On offense, Nelson Perez hit a three-run home run over the RF fence in the top of the 5th that cut the Giants lead to 8-7, but the Cubs were unable to score any more runs over the last five innings.
In EXST Cubs news, Cubs Player Development Director Oneri Fleita will be in town this weekend, presumably to help determine who goes to Boise, who might get advanced to Peoria, and who stays at Fitch Park for the summer. (And maybe who gets released). To that end, the EXST Cubs were thrilled to find out that they will be having a special extra workout at Fitch Park this coming Sunday (Sunday is normally a day off).
Here is today's abridged box score (Cubs players only)...
NOTE: Although the Giants won the game in regulation, 10 innings were played to allow pitchers to get extra work.
1. Cesar Salazar, LF: 1-4 (R, BB, SB, GIDP)
2. Marwin Gonzalez, SS: 1-5 (2 R, SB, GIDP)
3 Carlos Perez, DH #1: 0-2 (K)
4. Kyler Burke, 1B: 1-5 (R, 2 K)
5. Nelson Perez, RF: 1-4 (HR, 3 RBI, R, K)
6. Roberto Sabates, C: 1-4 (3B, RBI, R)
7. Kevin Soto, CF: 1-4 (RBI, 2 K)
8. Starlin Castro, 3B: 2-3 (2B, BB)
9. Alvaro Sosa, DH #2: 0-4 (K)
10. Jose Made, 2B: 2-4 (R, K)
NOTE: DH #1 Carlos Perez only batted when he wasn't otherwise occupied warming up a relief pitcher in the bullpen
1. Jose Pina - 0.1 IP, 3 H, 4 R, (4 ER), 1 BB, 0 K
2. Dionis Nunez - 2.2 IP, 7 H, 4 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 2 K (1/3 GO/FO)
3. Julio Pena - 3.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP (3/4 GO/FO)
4. Arik Hempy - 2.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HR (2/2 GO/FO)
5. Jon Mueller - 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K (4/0 GO/FO)
ERRORS - 3
1. Roberto Sabates: E-2, overthrew 3rd base attempting to pick runner off base, runner scored.
2. Starlin Castro: E-5, overthrew 2nd base trying to throw out batter-runner attempting to advance to 2nd base after play at 3rd base, runner scored.
3. Starlin Castro: E5, overthrew 1st base on infield single, allowing batter-runner to reach 2nd base
1. LF Cesar Salazar threw out runner 7-5 trying to advance from 1st to 3rd on single to LF.
2. RF Nelson Perez threw out batter-runner 9-6-5 trying to stretch a double into a triple.
CATCHERS DEFENSE AGAINST THE RUN
Roberto Sabates: 0-1 CS
Temperature in the upper 80's, clear & cloudless, light breeze.
JOHN B: Pierce Johnson and Rob Zastryzny were likely 2015 AFL candidates ( I mentioned them as likely candidates to get assigned to the AFL in an article about the AFL last month) because they are starting pitchers who missed part of the season due to injuries and they need to accrue more innings. Guys who have been pitching regularly as starters have thrown too many innings to be considered, so it probably came down to Johnson, Zastryzny, and Duane Underwood Jr, with Underwood odd man out because he hasn't pitched above Hi-A.
extremely classy. i didn't see his reaction until the replay after the break. baseball needs more fun in some areas and less of some 'unwritten rules' violations leading to angst.
Nice bounce back game for Grimm, and "well done" Dan Haren. We'll take that (almost) every time.
I have never been a Brandon Phillips fan, but that was a very classy way to handle Strop yelling at him after the K.
go cubs go
You know you like it
AZ Phil: Any thoughts on the AFL Cubs? Some names on the list caught me by surprise.
"woo." - pedro strop
Well Ross is out, so they had to bring in Rodney
these ties and leads being immediately pissed away is getting old
btw, Madbum vs Groin-key tonight