TCR Friday Notes
- I wanted to once again thank everyone who took the time and hit to their bank accounts to donate during our April pledge drive. I have to say, some of you went well beyond the call of duty and while I would happily thank each of the 35 individuals that did contribute, but most of you I only know by your usernames on here and I don't want to give away your super-secret identities. But I will acknowledge the six who contributed $50 or more that helped us to our final tally of...... $912.30. Holy Cow!
UPDATE: Last second donation in, make it 36 total for $942.30.
4 $50 Donations from:
(I don't know the username) Buzz Music Inc.
$51 Donation (someone's a Price is Right Fan)
The Big Giver after the jump...
For his $75 Donation he'll receive a Cubs DVD Legend Set (Drumroll please)...
Sure it was more of a tax for all the headaches Chad's given to us in the past, but we'll take it. We kid...we kid. Thanks a bunch there Chad who also gets some love on the lower left sidebar for his coining of the term "Cubbery".
Tony S. will get a free sponsorship for a year of our Cubs 40-man roster page and I'll figure out something for the four who gave $50 each. I was going to give the the third place finisher a free sponsorship of our Depth Chart page, but you all deserve something. Thanks again to everyone who supported us and reads us!!!!
- The Cubs did make a roster move today, Kevin Hart has been sent down to Iowa, the duct-taped arm of Chad Fox has been called up from his rehab assignment at Double A and Juan Mateo has been outrighted to Hi-A Daytona. The Cubs did not need the 40-man roster spot cleared by Mateo though, he's just gotten in their proverbial doghouse. It does look like he changed his mind about retiring for the moment.
- Encouraging Thought: The Cubs currently lead the NL in runs scored, batting average, on-base percentage, OPS and are second in walks and slugging percentage.
- Sobering Thought: The Cubs are 6-0 versus the Pittsburgh Pirates; .500 (11-11) versus the rest of the NL.
- I've mentioned this guy's site before (Aaron Shinsano). He's a Cubs scout in Korea working under their Pacific Rim main scout and ex-player Steve Wilson. The link takes you to the latest Korean player signed by the Cubs, 18-yr old "phenom" shorstop Lee Hak-ju.
Enjoy the weekend and remember I'll be continuing the NL Central Smackdown through the weekend and early next week. And I think Ruz might make an appearance on the front page next week as well.
I have a lot of faith in Baez that he's going to turn into a more consistent, solid player. It looks like it took him about a half season or so of futility at the plate to figure out he was not talented enough to get away with the crazy approach he had. I think his running game will eventually have a more measured aggression.
I hope the D and bullpen show up. Cubs haven't had much luck against Davies, and he's been going well lately. A little uncomfortable with the Cards only 6.5 back--feels like they're right on our tails compared to the 11 game lead I've grown accustomed to.
Cardinals, stop that. Right now.
In a year or two, a lot of fans are going to point at trading him as a mistake. He'll probably be slashing something like 280/400/480 for Seattle at the time. Of course, by WAR, he'll still be worth less than 3, since we're talking zero defensive value.
vogelbomb debut for tacoma (AAA SEA)... 3-3, 1bb, 1 HR, 1 double...DH'd.
while he mostly played 1st considerably more than DH for AAA CHC, DJ Peterson is probably going to see most of the time at 1st for AAA SEA.
Carl Jr.! Very nice!
Baez with another "WTF?" play trying a delayed steal with a runner on 3rd and one out.. Remarkable talent, needs to make better decisions.
m.montgomery up in the pen with a man on 2nd, 2 out, and rondon 20 pitches into the inning.
...and rondon ends it 22 pitches in with a popout to RF.
I gotta say with the crappy defense the Brewers have displayed outside of Fowler I'm pretty disappointed the offense hasn't shown more and Rizzo seems to be very swing happy lately. That said my god am I happy Madden has finally given Carl Edwards a chance after multiple times up with nothing. I don't think he could handle a starting role with his body frame but his stuff plays so well in a relief role and he seems to be able to handle high stress situations very well.
2nd at bat. Fowler is good for the Cubs run differential.
welcome back fowler.
More slow news...
Did Davey Martinez have to bring the shotgun?
glad to see almora going to AAA to get work.
.265/.291/.422 through 86PA...2hr, 7 doubles.
i don't expect too much of an improvement when he's taking over CF next year, but the team doesn't really need him right now as much as they need him to get regular work (imo).
CHITOWNMVP01: The Cubs MLB Reserve List (40-man roster) has had one slot open since 7/6 (when RHRP Joel Peralta was Designated for Assignment).
The problem with the September roster is all of the pitching changes. They should find a way to limit pitchers to twelve except for extra inning games. More pinch hitters or pinch runners do little to slow the game down and are more fun than endless calls to the bullpen. I also think the fans get cheated when they use position players to pitch because employed a half dozen pitchers with righty-lefty switches. Having as few as four positions players on the bench to start a game also leads to some pretty ugly defensive substitutions.
CHITOWNMVP01: Joe Nathan's 30-day Article XIX-C minor league rehab assignment expires tomorrow, but he doesn't have to be reinstated from the 60-day DL tomorrow.
Also, I think 40 man roster should be full, not at 39, unless I counted wrong. I'm in a hurry to leave the house.