Movement In Cubs' Sale Process...Sort Of

As reported by Phil Rosenthal in Friday's Tribune:

(Tribune Company Chairman and Chief Executive Sam) Zell said in a conference call with creditors
Thursday he now expects the confidential Cubs figures to be released to
potential buyers in the next 10 days or so and a sale to be completed
"sometime this year," regardless of what happens in ongoing
negotiations with the state over Wrigley, or whatever the park winds up
being called.

"You
ought to read the latest newspaper because it's all out there," Zell
said, noting there continues to be "steady progress" in talks for a
ballpark deal. "We're trying to do what is the optimum transaction with
the Illinois Sports Authority while simultaneously running with a book
on the Cubs going both ways, with or without the sports authority."

If you liked this article, consider supporting us during TCR's April Pledge Drive.

Comments

My guess... Wrigley + Ball club = sells for $1.13 bn

Personally, I hope one owner buys the club & ball park together.

I tried to send to that address, but it was returned as undeliverable.

Thanks for sharing though. I wanted to express my opinions to them since they took the liberty to digress from comments on a few idiots that night to giving the middle finger to all Cub fans with their idiotic generalizations. Reminds me of the Elia episode without the fireworks.

I hope so, too, but it would surprise me if Zell and the state don't reach a deal. I'm thinking this business of 'we'll complete the sale with or without the Stadium Authority' is just Zell trying to give himself some leverage and get the state to move. Maybe the fact that the Governor is well on his way to indictment is distracting the money boys in Springfield.

Good point Cubnut. Blagojevich's troubles could be a big factor.

Still, Zell pitting the state against prospective owners in hopes of driving up the price of the ballpark is perfectly Zellish. It makes sense that he would give the eventual owner a chance to top the state's best offer for the park.

I think you'll see much more talk about the sale because Zell is stepping away from his breaking apart of the Cubs and Wrigley. Why would a new owner not want to own the park as well? It doesn't make business sense for the new owner not to have the oppertunity to buy the park with the team.

Zell called out the state, the state worked slowly, and Zell is trying to get leverage, but from here on out, the Stadium Authority is a done dog in this sale. The state has way too many other things going on, so Zell is stuck taking what he can get with the Cubs & Wrigley package....poor baby.

Sorry Mike. A buddy of mine, who is a Reds fan, sent me that email address this morning.

I'll see what I can drum up.

That's cool. Thanks.

I'm over it anyway...Cubs win today! My weekend is off to a good start.

• Have fun - It may be good for Arrieta to be facing a team that doesn't know him as well as the NL teams. A nice shutout would do wonders for his confidence. He is confident in public but baseball is hard and he could use a boost, I'm sure.

Old and Blue 5 min 22 sec ago view
  • Me too. I'll be at the game tomorrow and would love to see Good Arrieta.

Brick 30 min 1 sec ago view
  • Last few games have been the April version of the Cubs that disappeared completely the past two months.
    Hope they can sustain it.

blockhead25 56 min 35 sec ago view
  • Don't sell yourself short, Judge.

Jackstraw 1 hour 23 min ago view
  • I love this team.

Looks like Mother Nature is trying to call this fight.

Rob Richardson 2 hours 51 min ago view
  • Hey! I remember this team!

billybucks 3 hours 7 sec ago view
  • The key for Heyward's offense: get early leads. Heard a stat on Mike & Mike on the way to work that his avg/power much better this year when the Cubs have the lead. And true to form he gets the two run dinger with Cubs winning 3-0 ...

Eric S 4 hours 26 min ago view
  • I'm sorry - I was probably not looking at the correct line, or spot, or...who knows!

I could blame it on the weed, but I stopped smoking many years ago.

Fortunately, I can rely on the rest of you sober and astute folks to bring the correct info forth.

• Oh yeah! It just felt like one for some reason.

• Agreed. I was not including Fowler or Heyward.

I'm just not a fan of 2016 Coghlan.....

Dusty Baylor 6 hours 6 min ago view
  • @Dusty Contreras if it's a Lester or Arrieta start. TLS is good PH too. You also forgot about Heyward, assume Fowler is CF.

chitownmvp01 6 hours 7 min ago view
  • I expect Soler to get optioned as well when activated and Cahill to replace Grimm. It wouldn't surprise me if Coghlan and/or Soler is included in a trade.

Maybe Coghlan is up to see if he can get on track before someone acquires him.

This move could also be to assure that we have as much OF depth as possible to maximize Joe's ability to rest players in September once we've clinched.

chitownmvp01 6 hours 9 min ago view
  • Maddon basically said as much...Fowler still kind of sore, they're being proactive, etc.

Tito 6 hours 12 min ago view
  • La Stella at 2B...Baez at 3B, or vice versa. Zobrist in RF, Bryant in LF No one gets bumped.

Dusty Baylor 6 hours 20 min ago view
  • If Coghlan is leading off, I assume Fowler is getting the day off. Who is supposed to lead off, then? Someone has to get on base for Bryant and Rizzo. Coghlan's OBP is .346 with the Cubs. Jackson's was .304. LaStella can lead off, but then he has to play second or third, and bump Zobrist or Baez.

Unless he gets hot, Coghlan will likely change places with Soler soon.

VirginiaPhil 6 hours 22 min ago view
  • I suspect the Cubs asked Chris Coghlan if he would accept an Optional Assignment to the minors and he refused (Coghlan has one minor league option left), so either you keep LaStella on the 25 and release Coghlan, or option LaStella to AAA for about a month and have both LaStella and Coghlan available in September-October. (As an Article XIX-A player, Coghlan must give his permission before he can be optioned to the minors, while LaStella has not accrued enough MLB Service Time to refuse an optional assignment).

Arizona Phil 6 hours 42 min ago view