Rockies Rallies Result in a Win and a Tie at Riverview Park
Dillon Thomas blooped a two-out two-run double between three Cub defenders in short right-field in the top of the 5th as the Rockies edged the Cubs 3-2 on Field #5, and Denzel Richardson belted an RBI triple and a single and scored a run to help the Rockies rally from a 4-1 deficit to tie the Cubs 4-4 on Field #6, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader action this morning at the Under Armour Performance Center at Riverview Park in Mesa, AZ.
In EXST Cubs roster news, Elliot Soto has completed his 50-game "Drug of Abuse" suspension and has been assigned to AA Tennessee. In 18 Cactus League Extended Spring Training games (68 PA), Soto hit 333/397/417 with 6/9 BB/K, one double, two triples, 3 SB (0 CS), 12 RUNS, and 5 RBI, while playing outstanding defense at SS.
Also, INF Giuseppe Papaccio has been sent back to Cubs Extended Spring Training from Daytona, and 1B Danny Canela has been sent to Cubs Extended Spring Training from Kane County. Both players were assigned to Squad "A" in the split squad doubleheader, with INF Varonex Cuevas and OF Shamil Ubiera moving from Squad "A" to Squad "B."
And LHP Andin Diaz (hasn't pitched in a Cactus League EXST game since April 23rd) has been assigned to the DSL Cubs, who will begin their 2014 season tomorrow morning versus the DSL Marlins. The 21-year old Diaz spent the previous two seasons pitching in the DSL, but had his career sidetracked for a while by a 50-game PED suspension in August 2012 that carried over into 2013.
Here are the abridged box scores from today's games (Cubs players only):
SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Rashad Crawford, CF: 0-3 (L-3, F-7, P-5)
2. Mark Malave, C: 1-3 (1B, F-9, P-4, R)
3. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 1-3 (1B, 4-3, 6-3)
4. Danny Canela, 1B: 0-3 (4-3, F-8, F-7, RBI)
5. Rony Rodriguez, DH #1: 1-3 (K, F-7, 2B, R)
6. Justin Marra, DH #2: 1-3 (1B, K, 1-3)
7. Giuseppe Papaccio, SS: 0-3 (6-4-3 DP, K, E-5)
8. Kevin Brown, LF: 1-3 (3B, K, K+WP)
9. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-3 (F-9, 1B, K)
10. Zak Blair, 2B: 1-2 (1-U, 1B)
SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Jose Paulino: 4.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 5 K, 2/3 GO/FO, 63 pitches (41 strikes)
2. Luis Hernandez: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 2 R (0 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 6/0 GO/FO, 53 pitches (31 strikes)
NOTE: Hernandez's third inning was stopped with one out and runner at 3rd base
SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 2
1. C Mark Malave - E-2 (overthrow at 3rd base on stolen base attempt allowed baserunner to score unearned run)
2. P Luis Hernandez - E-1 (dropped throw on attempted 3-1 putout allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Mark Malave: 1-2 CS, 1 E (see above)
SQUAD "A" OUTFIELD ASSIST:
LF Kevin Brown - batter thrown out 7-6-5 trying to stretch double into triple
SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Gleyber Torres, SS: 1-3 (5-3, 4-3, 1B)
2. Varonex Cuevas, 2B: 0-1 (BB, K, BB, R)
3. Charcer Burks, CF: 1-3 (2B, L-7, 1-5 FC, R, RBI)
4. Tyler Alamo, DH: 1-2 (1B, K, BB, RBI)
5. Roney Alcala, 1B: 0-3 (6-4-3 DP, F-7, F-9)
6. Adonis Paula, 3B: 1-3 (2B, 5-3, F-8, R)
7a. Ricardo Marcano, RF: 0-1 (F-7, BB)
7b. Shamil Ubiera, RF: 0-1 (5-3)
8. Eufran Vargas, C: 1-3 (1B, 5-4-3 DP, L-6, R)
9. Arnaldo Calero, LF: 0-1 (BB, F-8)
SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Jeferson Mejia: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 4/4 GO/FO, 34 pitches (25 strikes)
2. David Garner: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/FO, 7 pitches (6 strikes)
3. Adbert Alzolay: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 0/3 GO/FO, 19 pitches (14 strikes)
4. Victor Salazar: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1/4 GO/FO, 28 pitches (17 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD"B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Eufran Vargas: 0-3 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures 100+
I love this team.
Looks like Mother Nature is trying to call this fight.
Hey! I remember this team!
The key for Heyward's offense: get early leads. Heard a stat on Mike & Mike on the way to work that his avg/power much better this year when the Cubs have the lead. And true to form he gets the two run dinger with Cubs winning 3-0 ...
I'm sorry - I was probably not looking at the correct line, or spot, or...who knows!
I could blame it on the weed, but I stopped smoking many years ago.
Fortunately, I can rely on the rest of you sober and astute folks to bring the correct info forth.
Oh yeah! It just felt like one for some reason.
Agreed. I was not including Fowler or Heyward.
I'm just not a fan of 2016 Coghlan.....
@Dusty Contreras if it's a Lester or Arrieta start. TLS is good PH too. You also forgot about Heyward, assume Fowler is CF.
I expect Soler to get optioned as well when activated and Cahill to replace Grimm. It wouldn't surprise me if Coghlan and/or Soler is included in a trade.
Maybe Coghlan is up to see if he can get on track before someone acquires him.
This move could also be to assure that we have as much OF depth as possible to maximize Joe's ability to rest players in September once we've clinched.
Maddon basically said as much...Fowler still kind of sore, they're being proactive, etc.
La Stella at 2B...Baez at 3B, or vice versa. Zobrist in RF, Bryant in LF No one gets bumped.
If Coghlan is leading off, I assume Fowler is getting the day off. Who is supposed to lead off, then? Someone has to get on base for Bryant and Rizzo. Coghlan's OBP is .346 with the Cubs. Jackson's was .304. LaStella can lead off, but then he has to play second or third, and bump Zobrist or Baez.
Unless he gets hot, Coghlan will likely change places with Soler soon.
I suspect the Cubs asked Chris Coghlan if he would accept an Optional Assignment to the minors and he refused (Coghlan has one minor league option left), so either you keep LaStella on the 25 and release Coghlan, or option LaStella to AAA for about a month and have both LaStella and Coghlan available in September-October. (As an Article XIX-A player, Coghlan must give his permission before he can be optioned to the minors, while LaStella has not accrued enough MLB Service Time to refuse an optional assignment).
Given today's lineup -- maybe they just wanted an extra OF to give Dexter a few days off (i.e. day game after a night game).
Tommy LaStella has three minor leaue options left so it's no big deal to send him to Iowa, but as of right now he projects to be at 2+124 MLB Service Time by the end of the of the 2016 MLB regular season, which will place him "on the bubble" as far as being eligible for salary arbitration as a "Super Two" post-2016.
But if he spends at least twenty days on optional assignment this season (anything less than twenty days and he will accrue a full season of MLB Service Time), he will not have enough MLB Service Time to have a chance to be a "Super Two."
this will be his 4th time leading off for the cubs this season...WITH A .500 OB%! HAIL MADDON! THE PLAN (c)2016! HE HAS RISEN! #YOLO #SWAG! KONY 2012!
I don't hate Coghlan as a PHer but he's leading off today which is as bad as Austin Jackson doing so last year. He doesn't even have the speed.