Penalver Four-Hit Day Pain in the Halo for Angels
Carlos Penalver had four hits (an RBI double and three singles) and scored a run, Reggie Golden singled twice, walked, drove-in a run, and scored two more, Mark Malave belted a two-run double and scored a run, and Duane Underwood and Trey Lang combined to throw six shutout innings, leading the Cubs to a 6-1 victory over the Angels in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Fitch Park Field #4 in Mesa, AZ.
With his four hits today, Penalver is now hitting 381/422/524 with three doubles and a triple and only four strikeouts in 45 Cactus League Extended Spring Training Plate Appearances (17 games). He also leads the EXST Cubs in stolen bases with with four (no CS), and has committed only two errors (his second error coming today). The 18-year old Venezuelan was signed by the Cubs as a 16-year old for a reported $550K bonus on July 2, 2010 (the first day of the 2010 International Signing Period), and he is probably the best defensive shortstop in the organization.
Cubs catcher Wilfredo Petit left the game after being struck on the back of his left hand on a Catcher's Interference error in the top of the 8th. This was Petit's second Catcher's Interference error this Spring, and while it is a fairly rare occurrence, some catchers have more of a problem with it than do others. Catcher's Interference is when the catcher's glove interferes with the batter's swing, and it usually happens when a catcher sets up too close to the batter and/or when the catcher tries to reach forward too far to catch a breaking ball or off-speed pitch.
Petit was transported to the hospital for evaluation, but it looked like he probably has a broken hand.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
1a. Carlos Penalver, SS: 4-4 (1B, 1B+E9, 1B, 2B, R, RBI, PO)
1b. Bryant Flete, 2B: 0-1 (E-3)
2a. Danny Lockhart, 2B-DH: 1-3 (L-6 DP, 3-1, BB, 1B)
2b. Justin Marra, PH: 0-1 (6-4 FC)
3. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 2-4 (1B, 5-3, 1B, K, R)
4. Jesse Hodges, 1B: 1-3 (BB, F-8, K, 1B)
5a. Reggie Golden, DH: 2-2 (1B, 1B, BB, 2 R, RBI)
5b. Francisco Sanchez, SS: 0-1 (K)
6a. Xavier Batista, LF: 1-3 (F-8, 1B, P-4)
6b. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 0-1 (6-4-3 DP)
7. Garrett Schlecht, RF: 1-4 (F-7, P-4, 1B, F-7, R)
8. Mark Malave, 3B: 1-4 (F-9, 4-3, 2B, K, R, 2 RBI)
9a. Wilfredo Petit, C: 0-3 (4-3, 4-3, F-8)
9b. Lance Rymel, C: 1-1 (2B)
1. Duane Underwood: 3.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 1 PO, 60 pitches (33 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
2. Trey Lang: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 2 WP, 34 pitches (21 strikes), 3/2 GO/FO
3. Tyler Bremer: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 14 pitches (9 strikes), 0/2 GO/FO
4. Loiger Padron: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 10 pitches (8 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
5. Mike Hamann: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 10 pitches (7 strikes), 0/3 GO/FO
CUBS ERRORS: 4
1. SS Carlos Penalver - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 3B Mark Malave - E-5 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
3. 2B Danny Lockhart - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
4. C Wilfredo Petit - E-2 (Catcher's Interference allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilfredo Petit: 2-4 CS, 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Partly cloudy & breezy with temperatures in the 70's
First team to 60 wins! Onward to 70, 80, 90 and 100!
I. Hate. The. Mets.
OK Marlins -- take 'em down. Fernandez, at home, tomorrow for the Fish.
Gotta say, though -- as much as I can't stand them, the Cardinals have had some very impressive late-inning wins against premier closers.
Very impressive that he hit a 3-2 curve ball. Such a dynamic ballplayer. If he ever learns the strike zone....
If Jason Hammel doesn't get a potato chip sponsorship deal, somebody messed up. Attaboy, Jason!
I am looking forward to AChap facing the Cardinals.
Sure is fun to watch them score finally. To think they were no-hit until the 7th...
Got to admit it - it was comforting seeing Rondon come out for the eighth after just taking a two run lead ... And put the hammer down with a 7 pitch inning. Good stuff
GRAND SLAM RUSSELL
blown the hell open...7 run lead
11 hits off Wainwright tonight. Everything going right for the Cards right now. Motherfucking motherfuckers.
it was more no-doubt than bryant's HR. it wont make any end-of-season highlight reels, but that one was booked to leave on contact.
Javy! Javy! Javy!
How sweet was that - Cranked it!
393 happy feet
cubs take a 2 run lead in the 7th. sweet.
...and the Cards tie and take the lead in the 9th. off Familia.
Familia blows his first save of the season -- gives up 2 in 9th to the Cards.
Not much going our way these days.
no-doubt HR towering to CF...tie game.