Rogers Righteous Rip & Long Dong Dinger Lead Cubs to Victory at Fitch Park
Jacob Rogers blasted a three-run home run over the right-centerfield fence to put the Cubs on the board in the bottom of the 1st inning, Dong-Yub Kim belted a solo HR over the LF fence and off the roof of a house on the north side of 8th Street, singled, and walked, and Shawon Dunston Jr laced an RBI triple, singled, and scored two runs, leading the Cubs to an 8-1 victory over the Athletics in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Fitch Park Field #4 in Mesa, AZ.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only)
1a. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 2-3 (1B, K, 3B, 2 R, RBI)
1b. Kevin Encarnacion, PH-CF: 0-2 (K, K)
2. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 2-4 (1B, 4-3, F-9 SF, 1B, K, R, RBI, PO)
3a. Reggie Golden, RF: 1-4 (F-8, K, 1B, K)
3b. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 0-1 (K)
4a. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 1-3 (HR, L-8, 1-3, R, 3 RBI)
4b. Mark Malave, PH-1B: 1-1 (1B)
4c. Alberto Mineo, PH: 0-1 (P-6)
5. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-4 (K, P-3, E-5, K, R)
6. Carlos Penalver, SS-DH: 0-4 (F-8, L-6, 6-3, K)
7a. Justin Marra, DH: 1-3 (1B, 5-3, 6-3, R, RBI)
7b. Francisco Sanchez, SS: 0-1 (K)
8. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 2-3 (1B, HR, P-6, BB, R, RBI)
9a. Lance Rymel, C: 1-2 (1B, BB, P-2, R, RBI)
9b. Rony Rodriguez, C: 0-1 (F-7)
1. Paul Blackburn: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 40 pitches (27 strikes), 7/1 GO/FO
2. Erick Leal: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 24 pitches (17 strikes), 2/2 GO/FO
3. James Pugliese: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 40 pitches (22 strikes), 4/0 GO/FO
4. Dayan Diaz: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 9 pitches (8 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
5. Jeff Lorick: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 15 pitches (11 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. CF Shawon Dunston Jr - E-8 (two-base fielding error on line-drive single allowed batter to reach 3rd base safely)
2. C Rony Rodriguez - E-2 (two-base throwing error on infield single allowed batter to reach 3rd base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Lance Rymel: 1-1 CS
2. Rony Rodriguez: 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Partly cloudy & breezy with temperatures in the 80's
Amazing how much lower the production gets when Bryant runs into a mini-cold streak. He doesn't stay cold for long. If just one of Zobrist or, gulp, Heyward, gets hot, they oughta have one more really nice winning streak in them. Having a closer that you have absolute confidence in can't hurt.
I hope they hold onto Jimenez. Outfield depth is questionable, especially with McKinney, who struggled this year but still, gone.
You don't think he's improved? He looks completely different out there than he did when he first came up. The last I checked his K rate was in the low 20% range - 22-23 or so. When he came up it was 40%+.
To me, what is scary about him if I'm the other guy is that he IS learning the strike zone. This guy could easily be the MVP someday.
So, playing .500 for the rest of the year puts them at 91 wins. You would think there is enough talent to do a little better than that, right?
First team to 60 wins! Onward to 70, 80, 90 and 100!
I. Hate. The. Mets.
OK Marlins -- take 'em down. Fernandez, at home, tomorrow for the Fish.
Gotta say, though -- as much as I can't stand them, the Cardinals have had some very impressive late-inning wins against premier closers.
Very impressive that he hit a 3-2 curve ball. Such a dynamic ballplayer. If he ever learns the strike zone....
If Jason Hammel doesn't get a potato chip sponsorship deal, somebody messed up. Attaboy, Jason!
I am looking forward to AChap facing the Cardinals.
Sure is fun to watch them score finally. To think they were no-hit until the 7th...
Got to admit it - it was comforting seeing Rondon come out for the eighth after just taking a two run lead ... And put the hammer down with a 7 pitch inning. Good stuff
GRAND SLAM RUSSELL
blown the hell open...7 run lead
11 hits off Wainwright tonight. Everything going right for the Cards right now. Motherfucking motherfuckers.
it was more no-doubt than bryant's HR. it wont make any end-of-season highlight reels, but that one was booked to leave on contact.
Javy! Javy! Javy!
How sweet was that - Cranked it!
393 happy feet