Giants Double Pleasure with Walk-Off Win at Indian School Park
John Polonius blasted a two-run home run with two outs in the bottom of the 4th to break a 4-4 tie and propel the Giants to a 6-4 victory on Field #1, and Jonathan Jones belted a two-run walk-off double off the LF fence on a 3-0 pitch with two outs in the bottom of the 5th as the Giants edged the Cubs 4-3 on Field #2 (thus sweeping the doubleheader), in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Indian School Park in Scottsdale, AZ.
Kevin Encarnacion doubled, tripled, and scored a run and Jacob Rogers hammered a solo home run on Field #1, and Reggie Golden slugged a tape-measure two-run HR on Field #2, to provide most of the Cubs offensive highlights.
Originally planned as one ten-inning game, the two teams instead opted to play two games on adjoining fields. Not too surprisingly, both games ended up being five-inning affairs.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only)
INDIAN SCHOOL PARK FIELD #1
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Kevin Encarnacion, CF: 2-3 (3B, P-2, 2B, R)
2. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-3 (K, 6-3, F-7)
3. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-3 (4-3, L-4, 3-1, RBI)
4. Justin Marra, C: 0-2 (BB, 3-U, K, R)
5. Rony Rodriguez, DH: 1-2 (2B, 6-3, R, RBI)
6. Jose Dore, 1B: 1-2 (1B, 3-1, RBI)
7. Jacob Rogers, RF: 1-1 (HR, BB, R, RBI)
8. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 0-2 (6-3, 5-4 FC, SB)
9. Francisco Sanchez, SS: 1-2 (1B, K)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Jeff Lorick: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 10 pitches (7 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
2. Ethan Elias: 2.0 IP, 6 H, 4 R (4 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 37 pitches (23 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
3. Dayan Diaz: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 33 pitches (18 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
NOTE: The game was stopped in the bottom of the 5th inning when Diaz reached his pre-planned max pitch limit for the day
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: NONE
INDIAN SCHOOL PARK FIELD #2
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Rashad Crawford, CF: 0-3 (K, 4-3, 1-3)
2. Carlos Penalver, SS: 1-3 (1B, L-4, F-8, 2 SB)
3. David Bote, 3B: 0-2 (K, BB, F-9, R, SB)
4. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 0-1 (BB, F-8)
5. Reggie Golden, LF: 1-2 (K, HR, R, 2 RBI)
6. Lance Rymel, DH: 0-2 (5-3, F-8)
7. Mark Malave, 1B: 0-1 (BB, K, R)
8. Alberto Mineo, C: 1-2 (2B, F-8, RBI)
9. Frandy de la Rosa, 2B: 0-2 (P-5, K)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Daury Torrez: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 16 pitches (13 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
2. Alexander Santana: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 29 pitches (21 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
3. Corbin Hoffner: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 8 pitches (7 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
4. Loiger Padron: 0.2 IP: 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 20 pitches (8 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Alberto Mineo: 0-1 CS
WEATHER Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 80's
NOTE: It wasn't a Cactus League Extended Spring Training game, but the Cubs did play a six-inning intrasquad game at Fitch Park yesterday (Thursday) morning.
Dillon Maples and Kyler Burke were the starting pitchers, and both worked four innings. Maples threw 78 pitches (48 strikes) and allowed three runs on four hits and a walk with six strikeouts and a 5/0 GO/FO, and Burke threw 50 pitches (33 strikes) and surrendered two runs on two hits with two strikeouts and no walks, and a 6/4 GO/FO.
Ryan McNeil was scheduled to pitch in the game (which would have been his first game action in more than two weeks), but he was a late scratch.
Frandy de la Rosa (single, double, and three RBI) and Carlos Escobar (solo HR and a single) were the offensive stars of the game.
Roberto Caro suffered an ankle injury while sliding home safely in the 5th. He had to be helped off the field and then was transported via golf cart to the clubhouse for medical evaluation.
Here is the box score from the intrasquad game:
SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Danny Lockhart, SS: 0-3 (4-3, 4-3, 4-3)
2. Justin Marra, DH: 0-3 (F-8, K, K)
3. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 0-2 (K, E-3, BB, R)
4. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-2 (L-7, 5-4-3 DP, BB)
5. Bryant Flete, 2B: 0-3 (4-3, 1-3, E-4)
6. Kevin Encarnacion, CF: 0-3 (P-5, 5-3, K)
7. Xavier Batista, RF: 1-2 (1B, 5-3, R)
8. Wilfredo Petit, C: 1-1 (2B, BB, RBI)
9. Shawon Dunston Jr, LF: 0-2 (F-8, P-4)
SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Carlos Escober, DH #1: 2-3 (K, 1B, HR, R, RBI, CS)
2. Roberto Caro, CF-DH: 1-3 (K, K, 1B, R)
3a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
3b. Garrett Schlecht, RF: 0-0 (BB, R)
4. Frandy de la Rosa, SS: 2-3 (K, 1B, 2B, 3 RBI)
5. Erick Castillo, C: 0-2 (3-U, BB, 4-3, R)
6. Rashad Crawford, RF-CF: 0-3 (K, E-3, K+WP)
7. Mark Malave, 3B: 1-3 (5-3, 4-6-3 DP, 1B, RBI)
8a. David Bote, 2B: 1-2 (6-3, 1B, RBI, SB)
8b. Carlos Penalver, 2B: 0-1 (5-3)
9. Brad Zapenas, 1B: 0-1 (BB, K, R)
10a. Trevor Gretzky, LF: 1-1 (1B, R)
10b. Reggie Golden, LF: 0-1 (P-4)
SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Dillon Maples: 4.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 6 K, 1 GIDP, 78 pitches (48 strikes), 5/0 GO/FO
2. Angel Mejias: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 1 BALK, 33 pitches (18 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Kyler Burke: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 50 pitches (33 strikes), 6/4 GO/FO
2. Carlos Rodriguez: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 29 pitches (17 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
3. Orbandy Rodriguez: 0.1 IP, 0 H, 1 R (0 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 23 pitches (10 strikes)
SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 1
3B Jesse Hodges - E-5 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 2
1. 1B Brad Zapenas - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 2B Carlos Penalver - E-4 (missed catch on attempted inning-ending 6-4 FC allowed runner on 3rd base to score unearned run)
SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilfredo Petit: 1-2 CS
I'm ready for the end of the Miggy era.
he juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust got there...1st appearance, injury...yow
b.matusz it is.
Oops. Colin Rea leaves the game with injury.
Cubs optioned Justin Grimm to Iowa after the game. No corresponding roster move announced yet, but it could be Brian Matusz.
Marlins with a quick 4 spot vs Jaime Garcia. Osuna HR the highlight.
Brian Matusz, supposedly he has attachments. Hope it's not like an email with a virus attached.
One thing to remember about Chapman -- he can be magic, but his ERA is higher than Rondon's this year. 100+ mph is fun, but I'd love to see a few more sliders. I think he enjoys the crowd reaction from 103 mph.
"Diamondbacks designated RHP Josh Collmenter for assignment."
aww...he was my 2nd favorite crapballer. his control issues are rather severe at the moment.
Wow -- Chapman gives up a hit and everything completely caves in. I think the Cubs went into collective shock.
Stolen base with the pitcher holding the ball, WP that should have been caught or blocked, then Russell with a 2-out error on a routine play. Cubs handed them 2 runs. Throw in a Fowler bobble and it was a mess.
Hopefully, that is all out of their system now -- let's get a W tomorrow.
First time I've ever seen a base running slump -- he's made some poor decisions recently, but I thought it was a great idea to try to score there -- it's not like Heyward was going to get a 2-out hit against a LHP. Sliding feet-first into home is probably the safe (ugh) way to go, but it's hard to get the foot on the plate.
Yup. He got squeezed (twice) on the first walk, but, when you have one-run lead and the other team is trying to make an out -- take the out.
Clearly the Cubs need to clear out the farm and trade for another closer
Where's Ed Lynch when you need him?
Those were more entertaining times.