Wada Ya Gonna Do?
Tsuyoshi Wada fired five innings of shutout ball with seven strikeouts, Javier Baez collected three hits and three RBI, and Josh Vitters ripped a solo HR and an RBI double, as the AAA Iowa Cubs defeated the Salt Lake Bees (Angels AAA affiliate) 7-1 on Field #6, and C. J. Edwards and four relievers combined to toss a two-hitter and Rubi Silva stroked an RBI single and an RBI double, stole a base, and scored a run, leading the Tennessee Smokies (Cubs AA affiliate) to a 4-1 victory over the Arkansas Travelers (LAA AA affiliate) on Field #3, in Cactus League Minor League doubleheader action this morning at the Under Armour Performance Center at Riverview Park in Mesa, AZ.
Tennessee 3B Kris Bryant left the game in the bottom of the third inning after being hit on the foot with a pitch.
RF Jorge Soler took BP witb the Tennesse squad but will apparently begin the season on the Smokies 7-day DL, as INF Wes Darvill was moved-up to the Tennessee squad from the Daytona squad to take Soler's slot on the Smokies 25-man Active List.
All of the position players assigned to the Tennessee active roster saw action in the game on Field #3, and all of the Iowa position players except catcher Eli Whiteside, 1B Lars Anderson, and INF Edgar Gonzalez (who apparently will serve as a player-coach) got into the game on Field #6.
Several pitchers and position players from the Boise/Mesa (Extended Spring Training) squad saw action late in the two games, and six more players have arrived in Mesa from Venezuela, as RHPs Adbert Alzolay and Greyfer Eregua, LHP Alberto Diaz, 3B-1B-C Roney Alcala, and OF Jeffrey Baez and Ricardo Marcano have been assigned to the Cubs Extended Spring Training squad at Riverview Park.
Here are the abridged box scores from this morning's games played at Riverview Park (Cubs players only):
1. Zeke DeVoss, CF: 2-5 (1B, P-4, L-8, K, 1B, R, SB)
2. Stephen Bruno, DH #1: 1-5 (F-8, 2B, 6-3, 6-3, L-5, R)
3a. Rubi Silva, RF: 2-4 (1B, 2B, K, 6-3, R, 2 RBI, SB)
3b. Taylor Davis, PH: 0-1 (5-3)
4a. Kris Bryant, 3B: 0-1 (K, HBP)
4b. Anthony Giansanti, PR-DH: 1-2 (1B+E5, K, R)
5. Dustin Geiger, DH-1B: 1-4 (K, 1B, K, 6-3, RBI)
6a. Rafael Lopez, C: 1-2 (3-1, 1B, BB, RBI)
6b. Charlie Cutler, C: 1-1 (1B)
7. Jonathon Mota, 1B-3B: 1-4 (6-3, K, F-7, 1B)
8. John Andreoli, LF:0-2 (BB, K, 5-3, BB, SB)
9. Jeudy Valdez, SS: 0-3 (6-3, P-4, BB, K)
10. Wes Darvill, 2B: 0-4 (K, E-3, L-8, 3-1)
1. C. J. Edwards: 4.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 5 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 4/4 GO/FO, 63 pitches (33 strikes)
2. Armando Rivero: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K, 28 pitches (19 strikes)
3. Josh Davis: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/3 GO/FO, 20 pitches (14 strikes)
4. Jasvir Rakkar: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 11 pitches (5 strikes)
5. Zak Hermans: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 9 pitches (7 strikes)
TENNESSEE ERRORS: NONE
TENNESSEE CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Rafael Lopez: 1-1 CS
1a. Matt Szczur, CF: 1-3 (K, 2B, F-8)
1b. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 1-2 (1B, F-9, R)
2a. Arismendy Alcantara, 2B: 1-3 (F-8, 1-3, 1B)
2b. Logan Watkins, 2B: 0-2 (K, E-6)
3. Javier Baez, SS-DH: 3-4 (K, 1B, 1B+E5, F-8 SF, 1B, 3 RBI)
4. Josh Vitters, LF: 2-4 (HR, BB, P-6, 2B, K, R, 2 RBI)
5a. Chris Coghlan, 1B: 1-3 (K, P-6, 1B, BB, R)
5b. Rashad Crawford, PH: 0-1 (F-8)
6a. Christian Villanueva, 3B: 1-2 (P-5, BB, 2B, R, RBI)
6b. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-1 (K)
6c. Gleyber Torres, PH: 0-0 (BB)
7a. Brett Jackson, RF: 0-4 (4-3, K, 3-U, 3-U)
7b. Mark Malave, PH: (3-U)
8a. Chris Valaika, DH-SS: 1-3 (F-9, F-7, 1B, BB, R, RBI)
8b. Alberto Mineo, PH: 0-1 (F-8)
9a. Luis Flores, C: 0-2 (K, F-8)
9b. Justin Marra, C: 0-1 (BB, E-4, 2 R)
1. Tsuyoshi Wada: 5.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 7 K, 1 HBP, 3/5 GO/FO, 84 pitches (56 strikes)
2. Casey Coleman: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 3/1 GO/FO, 37 pitches (20 strikes)
3. Frank Batista: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/FO, 20 pitches (13 strikes)
4. Marcos Mateo: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 19 pitches (13 strikes)
IOWA ERRORS: NONE
IOWA CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Luis Flores, 0-1 CS
JOHN B: Pierce Johnson and Rob Zastryzny were likely 2015 AFL candidates ( I mentioned them as likely candidates to get assigned to the AFL in an article about the AFL last month) because they are starting pitchers who missed part of the season due to injuries and they need to accrue more innings. Guys who have been pitching regularly as starters have thrown too many innings to be considered, so it probably came down to Johnson, Zastryzny, and Duane Underwood Jr, with Underwood odd man out because he hasn't pitched above Hi-A.
extremely classy. i didn't see his reaction until the replay after the break. baseball needs more fun in some areas and less of some 'unwritten rules' violations leading to angst.
Nice bounce back game for Grimm, and "well done" Dan Haren. We'll take that (almost) every time.
I have never been a Brandon Phillips fan, but that was a very classy way to handle Strop yelling at him after the K.
go cubs go
You know you like it
AZ Phil: Any thoughts on the AFL Cubs? Some names on the list caught me by surprise.
"woo." - pedro strop
Well Ross is out, so they had to bring in Rodney
these ties and leads being immediately pissed away is getting old
btw, Madbum vs Groin-key tonight