Inland Empire Dominates Daytona Cubs at Riverview Park
Zach Wright belted a three-run home run, leading the Inland Empire 66ers (Angels Hi-A affilate) to a 9-6 victory over the Daytona Cubs on Field #6, and Ben Carhart ripped an RBI double, singled twice, and score a run, and Trey Martin slugged a solo home run, as the Kane County Cougars (Cubs Lo-A affiliate) and Burlington Bees (LAA Lo-A affiliate) played to a 6-6 10-inning tie on Field #3, in Cactus League Minor League doubleheader action this afternoon at the Under Armour Performance Center at Riverview Park in Mesa, AZ.
Rock Shoulders was the DH for Kane County on Field #3 for eight innings, and then he walked over to Field #6 (which is adjacent to Field #3) and played LF for Daytona for two innings.
Here are the box scores from the two games played today at Riverview Park (Cubs players only):
KANE COUNTY LINEUP:
1. Rashad Crawford, LF: 0-4 (E-5, K, K, F-9, CS)
2. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-4 (F-8, F-8, 1-3, F-7)
3. Trey Martin, CF: 1-4 (F-9, 5-3, HR, 5-3, R, RBI)
4. Rock Shoulders, DH #1: 2-4 (1B, 4-3, K, 2B, R)
5. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 1-4 (K, 4-3, F-7, 1B, R)
6. Rony Rodriguez, RF: 1-2 (1B, BB, 6-3, F-8 SF, R, RBI)
7. Ben Carhart, C: 3-4 (K, 1B, 1B, 2B, R, RBI)
8. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-4 (K, 1B, L-9, K, R)
9. Will Remillard, DH #2: 1-3 (BB, 1B, K, 6-3, RBI)
10. Varonex Cuevas, SS: 1-3 (4-6-3 DP, 1B, 3-1, 2 RBI, SB)
KANE COUNTY PITCHERS:
1. Tyler Skulina: 4.2 IP, 5 H, 2 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 2 GIDP, 8/2 GO/FO, 70 pitches (37 strikes)
2. James Pugliese: 2.1 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 3/3 GO/FO, 19 pitches (13 strikes)
3. Zack Godley: 2.0 IP, 2 H. 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 4/2 GO/FO, 27 pitches (16 strikes)
4. Scott Frazier: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 2 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 3 WP, 1/0 GO/FO, 26 pitches (10 strikes)
KANE COUTY ERRORS: 1
SS Varonex Cuevas - E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
KANE COUNTY CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Ben Carhart: 2-2 CS
KANE COUNTY OUTFIELD ASSIST:
CF Trey Martin - threw out batter 8-5 trying to stretch single into double
1. David Bote, 3B-RF: 2-4 (2B, L-6, F-9, BB, 1B, R, SB)
2a. Tim Saunders, DH #1: 0-4 (F-7, E-6, E-6, K, 2 R, 2 SB)
2b. Tyler Alamo, PH: 0-1 (6-4-3 DP)
3a. Yasiel Balaguert, RF-DH: 1-2 (F-7 SF, 2B, 6-3, 2 RBI)
3b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FOURTH TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
4. Marco Hernandez, SS: 1-3 (F-8, K, BB, 1B, R)
5. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 0-3 (6-3, K, BB, 6-3, R)
6a. Shawon Dunston Jr, LF: 1-3 (F-8, P-6, 1B, 2 RBI)
6b. Rock Shoulders, LF: 1-1 (1B)
7a. Justin Marra, DH #2: 0-2 (3-U, K)
7b. Jordan Hankins, PH-3B: 0-0 (BB, HBP, R)
8. Cael Brockmeyer, 1B: 2-4 (6-3, 6-3, 1B, 1B, 2 RBI)
9. Jacob Hannemann, CF: 0-4 (1-3, K, K, F-8)
10a. Lance Rymel, C: 0-3 (K, K, 5-3)
10b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FOURTH TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
1. Jose Rosario: 4.1 IP, 8 H, 5 R (5 ER), 2 BB, 4 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 5/3 GO/FO, 81 pitches (46 strikes)
2. Starling Peralta: 1.2 IP: 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 1/1 GO/FO, 36 pitches (21 strikes)
3. Zach Cates: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 3/0 GO/FO, 34 pitches (18 strikes)
4. Justin Amlung: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 7 pitches (4 strikes)
DAYTONA ERRORS: 3
C Lance Rymel - E-2 (overthrow on SB attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd base)
C Lance Rymel - E-2 (overthrow on SB attempt at 3rd base allowed runner to score)
P Zach Cates - E-1 (errant throw on pickoff attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd base)
DAYTONA CATCHERS DEEFENSE:
Lance Rymel: 1-6 CS, 2 E (see above), 1 PO
DAYTONA OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
RF David Bote - threw out baserunner 9-5 trying advance to 3rd base after errant pickoff attempt at 1st base
Cards and Pirates lose. I'm OK with that.
I'm ready for the end of the Miggy era.
he juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust got there...1st appearance, injury...yow
b.matusz it is.
Oops. Colin Rea leaves the game with injury.
Cubs optioned Justin Grimm to Iowa after the game. No corresponding roster move announced yet, but it could be Brian Matusz.
Marlins with a quick 4 spot vs Jaime Garcia. Osuna HR the highlight.
Brian Matusz, supposedly he has attachments. Hope it's not like an email with a virus attached.
One thing to remember about Chapman -- he can be magic, but his ERA is higher than Rondon's this year. 100+ mph is fun, but I'd love to see a few more sliders. I think he enjoys the crowd reaction from 103 mph.
"Diamondbacks designated RHP Josh Collmenter for assignment."
aww...he was my 2nd favorite crapballer. his control issues are rather severe at the moment.
Wow -- Chapman gives up a hit and everything completely caves in. I think the Cubs went into collective shock.
Stolen base with the pitcher holding the ball, WP that should have been caught or blocked, then Russell with a 2-out error on a routine play. Cubs handed them 2 runs. Throw in a Fowler bobble and it was a mess.
Hopefully, that is all out of their system now -- let's get a W tomorrow.
First time I've ever seen a base running slump -- he's made some poor decisions recently, but I thought it was a great idea to try to score there -- it's not like Heyward was going to get a 2-out hit against a LHP. Sliding feet-first into home is probably the safe (ugh) way to go, but it's hard to get the foot on the plate.
Yup. He got squeezed (twice) on the first walk, but, when you have one-run lead and the other team is trying to make an out -- take the out.
Clearly the Cubs need to clear out the farm and trade for another closer
Where's Ed Lynch when you need him?